Sunday, February 17, 2008

Feel the Music – A Tribute to Jackie Orszaczky

Bass player, vocalist, composer, arranger, producer, Jackie Orszacsky died on 3 February 2008.

This tribute to Jackie is purely a personal one. Although seeing Jackie perform live several times, I never met him and I know little about his personal or even professional life. I do know, however, how his music, his depth of groove, his funkiness, his innovativeness, affected my playing and musical outlook … and inlook.

Jackie is my favourite bass player in Australia. Listening to him play teaches about space, about laying back, not rushing, letting the music be felt – in short, Jackie’s playing IS about FEEL. Stuff everything else – technique, speed, theory etc. - emotional content is what music is about. This is what every body takes in.

Jackie was one of very few musicians who taught me how to completely give in to the music of the moment, to let go, let flow, let groove.

Thanks Jackie. Your playing, and therefore your person, has changed my life. I’ll catch up with you in the future.

George Urbaszek
Australian Musician Bass Columnist
Creator of BassLessonsOnline

No comments: